Monday, April 21, 2008

NOTHING

Since gaining the knowledge that the universe is expanding, I have always been fascinated by the question, "What is it expanding into"? I have always taken a fair amount of glee in the knowledge that it is expanding into nothing. I mean, imagine, that beyond the edge of the universe there is nothing. I have never found any scientific theories regarding this phenomenon, so I assume that I am the only person on earth fascinated by it. There has to be room out there, no?.
I spent a fair amount of my young childhood trying to conceive of nothing, and concluded by the age of eight that nothing is impossible, but probable nonetheless. Even the process of thinking about nothing is unattainable, although many of my friends will tell you that I achieve it fairly frequently. It should be clear that when trying to think about nothing, you are by definition thinking about something, that being 'nothing'.. Even the idea of nothing as in the absence of everything is inconceivable. When my grandfather was still alive, I tried to convince myself that god lived in the nothing, but discovered that if that were true, and the nothing were pure, then god could not be real, because he would have to be nothing for the nothing to be nothing (interestingly enough, this conclusion coincided with the death of my grandfather, an orthodox cantor, who had previously convinced me of the existence of god).
When I reached adolescence, I thought perhaps that drugs could help me conceive of nothing. Most failed miserably. LSD, which I enjoyed immensely and is still my favorite, is clearly the anti-nothing drug. The other hallucinogens, i.e peyote and mescaline, provided little insight as well. The opiates, while they made me see myself as nothing, did nothing to define nothing in the terms I sought. For a long time, I thought that perhaps marijuana and hashish might pave the road to nothing, and while they came close and I found that I could empty my mind of almost every serious thought, I could not evacuate the most silly and ridiculous thoughts from my brain. It was from this realization onward into young adulthood that I only viewed drugs as a recreational amusement, not as a tool for enlightenment. I did continue to view them as a tool for getting laid however.
During my young adulthood in Cambridge, MA, I allowed several women to try to convince me that perhaps yoga, and even transcendental meditation, might enlighten my path toward nothing, and while the sex was amazing.....well, same old story.
I gave up hope for awhile and turned to alcohol, which numbed me in my quest. I even tried marriage, and occasional cheap meaningless sex, both of which allowed me to focus, to center and even on occasion to divine, but they distracted me from my path and only eliminated my earthly possessions i.e. they left me with nothing.
Now, I have re-energized my quest toward nothing, and I seek others to accompany me on this journey. The mantra of the Great Triad is the attainment of the nothing for all humanity. Until nothing is attained, we cannot alter the course of probabilities and occurrences which currently determine our paths in life. The attainment of the truly blank slate is clearly the place to start to reanimate humanity on a more righteous path. From nothing comes everything. If we are ever to prove that we are smarter than dogs, we must take 'the road less travelled by', and find our way to the nothing from whence it all begins.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At last, someone who shares my view.