Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surprises

Sometimes in life, things appear so convoluted and confusing, so completely alien, that no matter how hard you try, you cannot make sense of it, cannot rotate the rubik cube of it, cannot unmaze the topiary of it. Non sequiturs are one thing, but that thing of which I speak is way beyond the boundaries of normal, random intrusion. When it happens, you are forced to pause in disbelief, pinch yourself awake from a nightmare that you didn't even know you were dreaming, and wonder if perhaps you have stroked out and lost all ability to reason, or comprehend. You become momentarily paralyzed, but eternally impaired. It is only through the reluctant realization that it has actually occurred that you are able to inhale; have an in-with-the-good-air, out-with-the-bad-air resurrection.

These moments can appear in many different forms and have many different causes, but they share certain universal qualities. They definitely take your breath away, like an out-of-nowhere slap in the face, or a who-am-I, what-the-fuck-am-I-doing plummet of the pedestal of self reliance, or a why-is-this-woman-causing-me-to-behave-like-a-complete-moron epiphany.
These moments will also cause you to question the lucidity of of your conscious mindset, the theoretical rationality once held in your core belief system. They question your conviction that you can believe what you see, and that what you see is not altered by your observance. They make you wonder if your optic nerve is just mocking you, but these moments are fleeting, never allowing you a firm grip on your bearings.

But most importantly, these moments always have a purpose, a gift even, but it is shrouded in a secret wound up tighter than the core of a baseball. Somehow, I know that these moments don't exist to reveal their purpose, but to cause us to seek revelation. The ultimate enigma--a shrouded secret, bearing a gift, but resisting discovery, yet setting us on a path toward discovery.

I had such a moment last evening. I was stunned, paralyzed, empty minded. I don't know where it will guide me, and I don't know what I will find, perhaps nothing. But I do know that it has taken up residence in my subconscious, set on a foundation sturdier than Atlas' shoulders. I will share it with you, although I know you can offer no guidance. It was, and is, my moment alone. I am almost certain it occurred, almost positive I saw it, a subtitle, golden yellow, emblazoned across a screen of an unknown Africa, at least unknown to me; a question which, at least for now, offers no hint of an answer, really offers no possibility of solution. But it was asked, clear and bold across the TV screen,

"Mother, will you rub some ochre on the calabash?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT?
WHY OCHRE?

Gail said...

Hi F A,
I researched 'ochre' and found it is a pigment of the earth of orange/yellow color comprised of silica, aluminum and ferric oxide.

I also researched 'calabash'. It, if harvested young is a vegetable. If harvested when mature it is a dried shell and used as a utensil such as a dipper or a bottle.
I am going to conclude that rubbing "ochre" on the "calabash" would be an oiling or preserving of the utensil made from the dried shell of the 'calabash'.

So, how that relates to surprises remains a mystery to me. Unless the surprise, in that moment, was simply the timing of the words across your screen scattered over a back drop of an African culture foreign to most.

I like surprises most of the time. Some, not so much. When I cried out my truth on the phone that day I was dumb-founded and quite surprised. And when a little four year old said to me once, while trying to recall my name, "oh, you are that lady with the big hair."!!! :-) Both surprises with equal and opposite impact. One's life can change in a moment, surprise-surprise-surprise.
Meanwhile, yes mother, "rub more ochre on the calabash".........

Gail
peace.....

Anonymous said...

For those who understand,
no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand,
no explanation is possible.

vern

PENolan said...

And here I thought it was simply some sort of ritual wherein the mother oiled a goard - which I'm not going to relate back to preparing a meal.

All that sexy talk when I'm single gets to be a bit of a downer.

Gail said...

Hey Vern

Lighten up, life is too short.
:-)

Gail
peace.....

Gail said...

Hey F A

Surprises, when initially thought of, one thinks of something grand. I think that comes from people screaming "SURPRISE" at birthday and anniversary parties. And a good time was had by all, blah-blah-blah.

I have surprised you and vice versa. Neither of us were yelling "SURPRISE".

So surprises are the unexpected just like you said. Some are life changing, others are fleeting. Some bring relief and others cause chaos. Bursting in to laughter or tears or dumbfounded silence. WTF Surrprise!!!

(if I think about this too much I will become paranoid. :-) )