Sunday, August 3, 2008

Random Thoughts from the Porch at Dawn

It has never failed to amaze me how a male cardinal will stand guard while his mate feeds. It has never failed to amaze me how a mockingbird can sound like a squeaky clothesline either. And, it amazes me today how easy it is for a reader to completely alter what a writer intends.

Our perceptions of the world are clearly governed by our own thoughts and circumstances. Our realities are clearly fleeting and chaotic; not that they do not exist, but rather that they are altered in each moment by what we perceive. It is no small wonder that we seek a place, a permanence, in a world that is constantly changing in our own minds.

But surely there must be constants in our realities. I just don't know in this paragraph what they are. Or perhaps our constants are merely what we refuse to let go of, refuse to cast out of existence. Perhaps that is why gods exist for us, or at least for some of us; to smooth out our continuous transitions. Perhaps faith is the only constant, although it seems to me that we each adhere to our own faith. Holy shit, what a curse it is being human. At least some of the time; at those times when we are trying to comprehend.

I watched two squirrels chasing each other around the trunk of a large oak tree. I really don't know if it was mirth, or folly, or anger, or whether or not I am allowed to assign any perception to it. It was whatever it was. But I enjoyed it.

No, I think that there are no constants. Certainly not time. We can alter time in the blink of an eye (what a stupid expression--who blinks just one eye). Certainly not love. Love needs to be changing, growing for it to last. Love is constantly wavering like a mirage, but that doesn't mean the water isn't there. It only means that it is there for as many moments as we choose to perceive it and honor it. And if gods were a constant, then there wouldn't be so many different kinds. And surely life is not a constant; it is chaotic and transitory, and most definitely temporary. And not death either. There is no certainty that it is even permanent.

I thought for a moment that perhaps dogs are a constant, but sometimes dogs run away to be dogs. No, I think I am happy being a weasel, full of stealth and evolving knowledge, scampering about, popping up from time to time to share what moments and shiny things I have come to cherish. The magic cards have been dealt.

I thought for a moment that music may be a constant; a constant droning d-flat that is always there for us to hear, but not all of us have perfect pitch, and we often seek the arpeggio. Or perhaps noise, but we all seek silence from time to time (See, if time were constant, you couldn't go from time to time), and while silence is golden, it is not constant either.

Perhaps, in the context of the Great Triad, nothing is constant. But 'nothing' is incomprehensible, yet still worth striving for. After all, our moments are most holy when they are inconceivable, difficult to attain, wrapped in nothing.

But, back to words. If I might be allowed to illustrate by recounting a recent conversation with Gail.

FA: What did you do today?

G: I cleaned my house. It's clean as a whistle.

FA: Whistles are full of spit. Is spit clean? Did you spit all over your house?

G: No, I am a lady. I don't spit. You, know, you can be really cold; cold as a witch's tit.

FA: What makes you think a witch's tit is gold?

G: COLD, I said cold. What are you deaf?

FA: Deaf as a haddock.

G: I didn't even know that haddock have ears.

FA: If they had ears, they wouldn't be deaf, would they?

G: Whatever! God, I'm tired of these dog days.

FA: What is it about hot, humid, sticky and still that makes you think about dogs?

G: Jesus fuckin Christ, you are frustrating. You can be dumb as a stump.

FA: Some cultures believe that trees, and stumps ARE trees, possess all the wisdom in the world.

G: Well, you certainly don't!

FA: That's not true. I'm smart as a whip.

G: My point exactly

FA: I gotta go.

G: Me too. Talk to you soon. Goodbye

FA: Goodbye? What's good about bye?

Well, as you can see, words can be confusing, but they're fun to play with. Maybe play is a constant, or should be. Well, I'm off like a herd of turtles.

8 comments:

Gail said...

I am 'Gail' again, "Voila"!!

I am always SO careful spelling that word now. F A doesn't miss anything.

So much for my "official" name change. It is officially unofficial.

Sir, yes sir!!

Gail said...

F A,
and that recap of our conversation is exactly how we hear one another and speak to one another. mind boggling I tell ya, mind boggling. and wonderful too. :-)

and yes, it is all about individual perceptions, vantage points too, and what the words mean to each of us based on our experiences.

oh shit, who gives a fuck? you provoke thought and inquiry and self examination about one's own values and truths and beliefs.

and it really doesn't matter. because we are all going to do what we do, when we want, regardless. you offer just enough confusion to stir up the pot, so to speak and I love ya for it.
settling back down one moment at a time.

gail
peace and truth

Anonymous said...

Gail/Jade/Viola/Voila/Gail-Anne,

I think I might just call you Gail, if that's OK?

Anyway, I found the profile and the answer, although nothing is wrong with 'a hundred red hens', is either 'certainty' or 'sight' depending on your point of view.

Eh, viola!

Gail said...

HEY ANDY, hi, hi hi,..........

You art the ONLY person that ever answered that question correctly, 'one hundred red hens', heehee, - kidding. It is "certainty", the answer is most definitely "certainty". You are very intelligent and also you are a gentlemen. A true British-Italian chap of a gentlemen.

I really did have many identity crisis here, Gail-Gail-Anne-Viola-Jade and back to Gail. "Damn you Fallen Angel". And Andy, yes, please, call me Gail.

It seems that our 'comments' are becoming more like emails. So, if you show me yours I will show you mine!! Actually I lied, I want you to show me yours, on Thursday, in a comment, just for the day and then you can remove it. What do you think? Will ya? Want to? :-)

and what makes you think I know anything more about anonymous you silly? I think she is a she and a young she. I have a keen intuitive sense. Or, it is a big ole fat guy who has a 'thing' for angels that like lucky charms, have a history of using drugs and are scary.

Milan Italy@ oo-la-la I lived in Turkey for a while, was suppose to go to Rome but got quarantined due to a cholera outbreak.

Well, I will look for you. Here.
Ciao, peace, love, blah-blah-blah

Gail et al

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail,

Yes, more like emails. I'm afraid I cannot do the thing on Thursday as I will be travelling (on my way back from the UK). In any event, there is an email address on my blog. This is not my 'real' email address but it is a start.

With regard to Anonymous, you are, of course, a lady and ladies are ALWAYS right! So I bow to your intuition. I do quite like the idea of it being a big ole fat guy who's rather scary :-) Who knows, it may be me in another life?

Your life sounds as if it has been more than a little interesting. Where is your blog with all your secrets and history? How long did you live in Turkey? And why? I mean it's a nice place for a holiday but I'm not sure about living there.

Anyway, must go now as I'm supposed to be working. A dopo. Ciao e pace

Andy

p.s. Do you think that Fallen Angel minds that we seem to have taken over the comments on his blog?

Gail said...

Hi Andy and a "BIG HELLO to Fallen Angel'.

SO, where is your blog? I tried clicking on your name here but it goes no where so you must mean elsewhere, right?

And yes, my life has been and continues to be very interesting with many secrets and truths. I will share about 'Turkey' in an email once we find our way.

I like the "bow", and to you I "curtsy". what a weird word, 'curtsy'. I don;t think I have ever curtsied in my life. I am most definitely sure I have not, except maybe once when I attempted to "square dance".....:-) those full brightly colored skirts with fluffy slips underneath are not my thing. :-)

About 'Fallen Angel' minding us taking over the comments on his blog? I will tell you this: I have caught beatings from him for far less. So I don't know.

And I promise you this: (a scene from "The Color Purple" - Nettie and Harpo).

"Harpo, I Loves you and I ain't done you no wrong. I swears I will kill you before I let you beat me again"!!

SO, I don't want you t worry I got it all taken care of. :-) I get a real kick out of myself. I am laughing out loud.

My ancestors on my Mom's side are from the Province of Avilon, Italy - a little village called Sereno.

Travel safely,
talk soon,
peace and love,
Gail et al

Gail said...

Hi Andy, Hey Fallen Angel

Hey F A how come you haven't written any new and inspiring and confusing and plain ole good stuff as of late? Your flock is thirsty.

Andy, I emailed you from the address on your blog. Yes, I found it. Adorable dogs. :-)

Love and peace
Gail et al

Anonymous said...

Hey Gail,

Good quote from TCP. I did travel safe and that in spite of an Italian driving me whilst in the UK. A rare feat, methinks. I am still trying to prise my fingers from the clenched position the assumed whilst there. Hence my terrible typing.

I will email you directly (meaning at once, of course, as in the olden days when everyone was like they are in Pride and Predujice and I was a toddler).

Thanks for the comment on the dogs. They are great.

And, hats off to FA for a great blog and a great place to meet people. Cheers.