Monday, October 13, 2008

Pinocchio Wins the Nobel Prize

Not since Walt Disney passed on due to excessive opium accumulation in his lungs, has a more meaningful event occurred in the annals of newsdom. The Nobel prize for physics was awarded this past week to three Japanese gentlemen, one American, for their discovery of 'spontaneous broken symmetry'. I don't even know what it is, but I do know that it is the single most incorrect assertion ever foisted on the global public. As I'm sure you are aware, in all but the purest mathematical definitions, there is no such thing as symmetry, even though is the most sought after treasure for humanity. In any event, as I pretend to understand it, when examining anything that appears symmetrical, especially the big issues, upon closer and more detailed examination, fractalized details appear that disrupt the whole notion of reflection. It is not until we get to the really, really small issues do we find that all variant detail disappears. While it is important to note that the whole fucking universe wouldn't exist without the spontaneous break in symmetry, it is more vital to accept the irrefutable realization that we are incapable of getting that small; that we are forced to accept the tiny variances in our lives that swirl symmetry right down the emotional garbage disposal. We cannot possibly hope to find the symmetry we seek.

All this science brought me, with a little help, to Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket. It was clear to me, even in 1940, that constructing a wooden marionette could never alleviate an old man's loneliness, but that, due to the ravages of time, it was the only wooden thing that could give Gepetto any hope of passing on the puppet, genetic line. The fact is that Pinocchio was much more the little boy prior to his flesh and bone transformation, that only after Gepetto's dream came true, were the donkey ear seeds truly watered and nurtured. We all are the creations of our parents, designed to perpetuate the illusion of normal. Sure, Pinocchio was a liar, but he sang and danced his way down a path that felt good to him, felt natural. There are those that would tell you that he lied because he hadn't benefited from any parental guidance. I would tell you that he lied because his innate puppet instincts told him to protect himself. Now I don't believe that lying is the best way to protect yourself, but I do believe that instinctively, we all do what is necessary to survive. Therein lies the problem. Our lives are programmed from the beginning to survive, and we all know how to do it even before the strings disappear. What we never learn to do is to live, to thrive.


We all have a Jiminy Cricket, and he is wiser than you think. I'm not talking about the devilish imp that lives in all of us. The imp is there to maintain the status quo. No, I'm talking about the cricket, rubbing his legs together to get our attention, telling us how to be better; telling us that what seems OK probably isn't; showing us how to live outside the box we are all trapped in. The imp tells how to get around the right thing. The cricket gives us a new map, with a new space to explore with only instinctual instructions to guide us.

We need, at some point in the very near future, to accept the fact that we are nothing more than talking animals. Our mother ravens have already shown us how to leave the nest and find food, but they neglected to teach us how to fly upside down. The fact is that we instinctively know how to fly upside down. We just choose not to, primarily because we feel safer flying the conventional way. But as a species, we have failed to evolve; failed to examine the evolutionary path which has confined us. As a result, we continue to navigate through greed and self interest, swallowing hook, line and sinker the notion that was has always been is working.The path of accumulation is an abysmal failure; it has failed to provide symmetry. We, as a species, are unable the see the real reflection in the mirror. We are unable to accept that we are indeed miserable.


All of our social institutions exist in order to perpetuate a clearly broken path. Gods give us fear, business gives us scarcity, governments give us specious rules, marriage gives us sediment, and all of them together give us spiritual atrophy. We have given up our instincts, quit on the dream of discovering what we might become, instead choosing a state of dormancy bordering on coma.


I don't know whether or not the aquatic ape theorists are correct (although it does explain why I have such a large penis). I don't know why the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. I don't know why there was an imbalance in matter/antimatter at the big bang. I don't know why there wasn't a PinocchioII:The Later Years. But I do know that it is time to get out the sandpaper and scissors.
And I know it is time to look in the mirror, and find the microscopic reflection of what we should become, what we have never been.


It is time for a when-you-wish-upon-a-star tap dance into a black hole, and discover what light shines on the other side. It is time to want to be boys and girls again and chart a new course. It is time for donkeyearechtomies. It is time to evolve, have lots of fun, and let Jiminy Cricket run off and fuck the shit out of the Blue Fairy.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Hi F A

Symmetry- "satisfying arrangement of a balanced distribution of the elements of a whole."

That being stated I can now reply, oh so cautiously, but reply none-the-less. It is amazing to me that in your writings about your views that you infer, or actually command that it is the way of whatever for all.
One point that jumped off the page was about "quitting the dream and being dormant or in a coma" Certainly not true for me. My dream is being lived and fought for every day. And I am not miserable, not by any stretch. So you must be writing about someone else, perhaps yourself. Although I don't experience you as miserable so that can't be right.

Marriage is not sediment for everyone nor are all people spiritually atrophied. Although I can understand how you could come to this insight. For me, it is in the "absolute" way you write that is final with no possible other experience to be valid that somehow brings me to a defensive stance for what is true for me.

I am going to"thank you" for such expressions because it allows me to look at my world and my life and be filled with gratitude that your views do not apply to me. I am sure that is not your intent.
I could be wrong.

I was fascinated by your rationale regarding the ape and your large penis. Interesting theory or perhaps deluion of grandeur. :-)

I know you frown upon long comments, but I don't care about that,obviously. Your writings are amazing and well thought and quite provoking and regardless if I agree or not I am one of your fans.

Try and be kind if you choose to comment back although you have made it quite clear that "it is not your job to do so.".

P.S I chose "deciding-news" . It fits best.

Gail
peace.....

Fallen angel said...

Perhaps my post is more of an indictment of humanity as a whole, not necessarily of individual lives. I would point out however, that having to fight for your dream daily validates my point to the max. As far as spiritual atrophy goes, I stand on what I believe. We as a species have only reached the Pinocchio stage. As long as spirituality and accountability are external, we will never progress past the monkey stage.

As for the 'absoluteness' of my writing, I told you before that I write for myself. What anyone takes from it is up to them. And, I might point out that your own views are held absolutely; otherwise, you would have no need to restrict angry and vile comments; you would welcome all to your blog.

As for marriage, I'm happy and proud that yours is remarkable. But as an institution, rife with rules and expectation, it has become a singular, stultifying piece in the greater conspiracy to kill human creativity and imagination.

I still love you.

Gail said...

Hi
and no I do NOT spend all day in the internet. Although it may appear so. Timing is everything.

I am pleasantly surprised by your comment. I understand your words even more. And yes, you have told me and told me that you write for yourself and no one else. Somehow, knowing that does not impede the impact your words have on me.

Like the reference you made to my removing angry and vile comments from my blog would suggest my views are 'absolute', so too your writing on the INTERNET may suggest that you look for something back from your readers which takes it outside yourself. Otherwise you could just have a folder on your desktop that no one reads but you.

And I don't quite understand, and I would like to, how my fighting for my dream makes your point to the max. Perhaps it is the word 'fight' we have a differing reference for. No, as I think about it you are right, I stand corrected. Our fight/commitment is challenged by all you wrote about. It is true.

Very strong words in the last paragraph of your comment. I absolutely "get it". I guess, for me, when you write and because I know you and you know us, I feel it necessary to draw some comparisons. In our world I don't see myself us as some random reader. I just can't put myself in a category of foreign bloggers/readers. Right or wrong, I take your words to heart. Oh I know you have said I am literal and even gullable (sp), and you are right. That is who I am.

I believe I am most frightened by what feels like rigidity in your writings. Again, I need to remind myself that you are NOT writing to me when you write. And yet I behave as if you are. Mind boggling.
One final point, I don't believe that spirituality and accountability are external. I will go further and say it is impossible for that to be true.

I still love you too

Gail
peace......

P.S. So, how large is your penis? Hey, you put it out there, so to speak. :-)